Tel Yaaf (Qasab)
Tel Yaaf is a biblical site located east to Rosh-Pinna, on the route of the ancient road to Syria. It is yet unidentified.
Tel Yaaf (Ya'af) is a biblical site - east to the town of Rosh-Pinna. It is not identified, but may be one of tribe of Naftali cities (such as Adamah or Ramah).
The Tel is split among two hills - the lower city on the north and the upper city on the south.
After the Hellenistic period the Tel phased out, and transferred to the west hills above.
Tel Yaaf is located a hundred meters from the main road east of Rosh-Pina industrial zone.
An aerial photo of the Tel is shown below (indicating the major points of interest). You can point on the purple points to navigate to the selected point.
The Tel (mound) was populated in the iron age, as established in emergency excavations (2006) in a small area in its southern section.
This ancient city was located on the main ancient road through Syria to Babylon. There was one route north, following the modern road through Tel Hazor. Another route went east, through the road that passes Tel Yaaf from the south, crossed the Jordan river and up to the Golan heights.
There are many other ancient ruins around - Tel Ness (1.5Km south), Khirbet Shura (1.5KM east), and other smaller sites, all located on the path of the ancient trade route.
Most of the Tels phased out during the Hellenistic period, and so did Tel Yaaf. The ancient city expanded to the hill above, where the town of Rosh-Pinna exists today. In this area there was a Roman village, but only traces of that village were found, such as a Roman wine press stone, and some stones that might have been part of an ancient synagogue.
In later periods an Arab village existed - Ja'uni. This village existed until 1948, and gave Rosh-Pinna its initial name - "Gia-Onni".
Rosh-Pinna is today a town that was founded in 1878, first as a farm, and later (1882) as a Colony (Moshava), part of Rothschild's Israeli Colonies. These early buildings are now undergoing reconstruction and some of the restored houses are open to the public.
An aerial view from the south east side is shown here. On the left side is the higher south hill, while on the right is the lower hill. The modern village of Rosh Pinna is in the far background.
The next photo shows a ground view of the Tel from the west side.
This photo shows a closer view of the south hill. It may have been the "upper city".
A view of the south hill from the east is in the next photo.
In the background is Canaan Mountain, and the outskirts of Zefad. On is foothills, close to the Tel, is the town of Rosh-Pinna, established in the 19th C AD.
The north hill is seen in the following photo, as viewed from the west side. On the top of the hill is a group of jeeps. In the far background are the Golan heights.
A view of the north hill - from the east side.
Rosh-Pinna was established in the 19th C AD, and the restored section at the top of the town is a nice place to visit, strolling along the cobblestone streets and visiting the restored houses.
Another view of the hillside of Rosh Pinna, towards the east. The Rosh-Pinna creek starts from the spring at this area, flows down and around Tel Ya'af, east into the the Jordan river, and finally into the Sea of Galilee.
This text describes the territory of Naphtali tribe. According to the order of the cities that appear in the Biblical text, south to north, Tel Yaaf may be found after Chinnereth - as either Adamah or Ramah. However, this identification is not precise, and there are other identification options.
"The sixth lot came out for the children of Naphtali...And the fortified cities were Ziddim-zer, and Hammath, and Rakkath, and Chinnereth ; and Adamah, and Ramah, and Hazor";
* External links:
* Internal links: