Ruins of the ancient port city of Haifa, located on the west shore side of Mount Carmel. It was inhabited starting in the late Bronze age (~18th C BC). The port city continued in the Israelite period, the Persian period, a Phoenician port before and during the Hellenistic period, Roman/Byzantine periods, Arabic, Crusader and Mameluke periods.
Tel Shikmona is located on the shores of Mt Carmel, on the side of the highway entering into Haifa.
You can point on the purple points to navigate to the selected point - in this page and other pages.
The city was established at 14th C BC during the Canaanite period, when the land was ruled by the Egypt.
The city was fortified during the 11th C BC by the Israelite kings. A section of the city wall with a casemate design, dated to the times of King Solomon, was excavated in the mound. The excavations also unearthed streets and houses, including a "four-room" house which is typical of this period.
A Biblical map of the area around the site is shown here. Notice the coast road - a western branch of Via Maris -which passes through the city.
Map of the area around Shikmona - during the Canaanite to the Roman periods (based on Bible Mapper 3.0)
The north cities of Israel were subjected to a series of intrusions and conquests from the north. Shalmaneser III was the Assyrian king who invaded to Israel in the first Assyrian intrusion (841BC). His forces reached the Carmel, and may have caused damages to the city.
Another arch enemy of the Northern Israelite Kingdom was Aram-Damascus. These forces, headed by Hazael, invaded in 815-810, as per Biblical accounts (2 Kings 8:12, 12:18-19, 13:3+7; Amos 1:3) and (2 Kings 10 32): "In those days the LORD began to cut Israel short: and Hazael smote them in all the coasts of Israel;". In one of these intrusions the city was probably destroyed.
In 732BC was an intrusion to the North of Israel by the Assyrian King Tiglath-Pileser III, who annexed the area (as per 2 Kings 15: 29): "In the days of Pekah king of Israel came Tiglathpileser king of Assyria, and took ... Galilee...and carried them captive to Assyria". During this period the city may have been destroyed, and later rebuilt, by the Assyrians.
The Assyrians occupied the city until the Babylonians conquered the land (about 604BC).
Orthostat relief - depicting soldiers from different orders of the Assyrian Army, in procession; basalt; Hadatu
Tiglath-Pileser III period (744-727BC)
[Istanbul Archaeological museum]
The Persians replaced the Babylonians as the ruling empire in the region, and controlled Israel from 538 to 332 BC.
Their maritime partners, the Phoenicians, expanded and administrated the city. The Phoenicians were the great marine merchants of those times, mastered the seas of the Mediterranean, and established cities all along the coast of Israel. A layer of the Persian city was found on the mound under the Byzantine period layer. Industrial installations were exposed on the south side of the hill.
Hellenistic and Hasmonean period
Alexander the Great conquered Shikmona in 332 BC. After his death, the city became part of the Greek Seleucid kingdom (306-150BC).
The Jewish Hasmonean Kingdom managed to free from the Seleucid control in the area of Judah (starting at 167BC). More than 60 years passed until the Hasmonean King Alexander Jannaeus attempted to recapture the northern coastal area. In 104BC his forces attacked the port city of Acre, north of Shikmona. The city of Acre called for help from the king of Cypress, who sent troops to Shikmona. (Josephus Antiquities of the Jews III, 13: 12): "When Alexander Janneus had settled the government in the manner that he judged best, he made an expedition against Ptolemais... So the people of Ptolemais sent to this Ptolemy Lathyrus... Now Ptolemy, although he had heard of the change that was made in the people of Ptolemais, yet did he still go on with his voyage, and came to the country called Sycamine, and there set his army on shore". The Hasmonean king retreated, but after negotiations he received the city as well as other coastal cities of Dor and Straton's Tower.
Shikmona remained under Hasmonean control for 40 years. According to the excavations, it was a prosperous fortified city at the 1st C BC.
The Roman legions under Pompey conquered Israel in 63BC. Sycamine/Shikmona was later given to Acre/Ptolemais as part of his rearrangements (63-48BC).
During the Roman/Byzantine period Shikmona reached its climax and became the main city of Haifa and the area.
The coastal Roman road from Caesarea Maritama ("Cesaria"), Dor (Thora) to Ptolamais ("Ptolma") and Tyre ("Tyro") passed through the city. The city is marked as a red square on this section of the Peutinger map (Peutingeriana tabula) of the 4th C Imperial Roman roads.
The total area of the Byzantine city was 120 Dunam (12 Hectares), which was then a medium size city. The city's principal residential area was located to the south of the mound and along the shore. The commercial area was located on the north side of the mound, near its port. The necropolis (cemetery) was located on the hillside to the east of the city.
Shikmona was destroyed in the 7th C AD and remained in ruins since then.
Ottoman period - PEF survey
The area was examined in the Palestine Exploration Foundation (PEF) survey (1866-1877) by Wilson, Conder and Kitchener. They reported (in Vol 1, Sheet V, pp352-353) on the site, known in its Arab name as "Tell es Semak" ("mound of the fish"), with the following report:
"A low hillock by the sea. It is covered, as well as the shore near it, with ruins of dressed masonry, and there appears to have been a place of some importance at this site. Pottery, glass, and marble were found, and there are tombs east of it, in the sides of Carmel. Quantities of the ashlars blocks have been taken away, the holes remaining whence they were dug out. A fragment of a capital and coins (Byzantine) were here found by the Germans. Shafts and capitals of Byzantine appearance were also dug up. Fine building stones were transported to Haifa to build houses with. Large quantities of copper coins of Constantine were found, and a Crusading coin, with the date 127. The tombs are rude caves, with loculi".
They also correctly identified the site as "Sycaminos".
The map on the right shows the site at that time. Notice that the entire area around the ruins is barren.
Tell es Semak - Shikmona - Part of Map Sheet 5 of Survey of Western Palestine, by Conder and Kitchener, 1872-1877.
(Published 1881, reprinted by LifeintheHolyLand.com)
Excavations in Shikmona were conducted in 1939, 1963-1979 (Yosef Algavish), and 1994. Renewed excavations started in 2010 as part of the renovations along the coast of Haifa, within the scope of the continued construction of the Hecht park. The excavation team is directed by Dr. Michael Eisenberg of the Zinman Institute of Archaeology at the University of Haifa.
The entrance to the marine nature reserve of Shikmona is located near the Ocean research center. This is where you park your car, and walk towards the hill of Tel Shikmona which can be seen here on the right side of the walkway. The length of the park, which includes the historic site, is 1.5km.
Click on the photos to view in higher resolution...
Along the path are various species of wild flowers, which bloom during the spring time. This type is called Allium Trifoliatum (Hebrew: Shum Sa'ir).
A closer view of the mound from the east side is seen below. It is partially excavated, with several of its southern and eastern parts removed.
The site is located on the shores of the Mediterranean sea. Shikmona was an ancient port city, and its small harbor was one of its main sources of income and the reason of its location.
The city also was a gateway on the western section of the coastal road ("Via Maris"), connecting the north to the south. This important link passed on the eastern side of the city and was another source of income for the city.
Along the coast is a shallow bedrock made of sandstone (Kurkar) rock.
The shore attracts the waves, fishermen and birds.
A Panoramic view of the shore, as seen from the top of Tel Shikmona, is shown below. If you press on the picture below, a panoramic viewer will pop up. Using this flash-based panoramic viewer, you can move around left and right, zooming in and out, and view the site in full screen mode. Points of interest are indicated in the view. The viewer automatically rotates slowly around. Due to its large size, it may take minutes to upload... but its worth the view!
To open the viewer, simply click on the photo:
View from the top of the mound - Dated Feb 2012
A path leads up from the shore to the top of the mound. This hill is actually a pile of many layers spanning about 35 centuries of history.
The eastern and southern sections of the hills were excavated. According the the University press release (July 3, 2011): "Earlier in the season, a long section of the eastern side of the tell was exposed, revealing remains of terraced Byzantine structures (4th-7th centuries CE) that were built on the slope. Inside the houses, a number of destroyed mosaic floors and storage rooms were uncovered, while dozens of vessels there survived the ruins and were found whole. Many coins, ornaments, pendants, weapons and glass vessels were also found there, providing evidence of the wealth of the inhabitants. Beneath these Byzantine remains, the archaeologists exposed a structure from the Persian era (4th century BCE) in which an oven, clay loom weights and storage pitchers were found, indicating Persian settlement of the area. At another section of the excavations on the tell, the remains of three stages of settlement from the 11th-8th centuries BCE were found. It seems that at the beginning of that era, settlement in the region was relatively sparse but increased over time, becoming a prosperous, fortified city by the first century BCE".
The following photo shows the south-southern side of the mound.
Another view of the southern section:
A northern views of another cross section:
The dog, who accompanied the biker from the previous picture, seem to be interested in these excavations:
Recent excavations have exposed a well preserved 9th century BC structure. This design is called a “Four-room house”.
This "four-room" house was popular in the iron age, from the 11th C to the 6th C BC. The design was based on a long house with four main spaces - a broad room in the back and three long spaces extending forward from it. The rooms were divided by stone pillars and walls.
The entrance to the house was usually located on the central room.
The "four-room" house is usually attributed to the Israelites.
A basin stone of an oil press is located on the edge of the room:
A 360 degrees Panoramic view from the top of Tel Shikmona is shown below. If you press on the picture below, a panoramic viewer will pop up. Using this flash-based panoramic viewer, you can move around left and right, zooming in and out, and view the site in full screen mode. Points of interest are indicated in the view. The viewer automatically rotates slowly around. Due to its large size, it may take minutes to upload... but its worth the view!
To open the viewer, simply click on the photo:
View from the top of the mound - Dated Feb 2012
An industrial complex dated to the Phoenician period was found to the south of the hill. It was probably used to produce and store oil and wine. Shikmona in the 9th-8th C BC was a center for olive oil production, and its port exported the merchandise.
The complex included three oil presses, storerooms for the oil and for the olives.
In the following picture is one of the pits where the olive juice was collected. It has a mosaic floor.
Another industrial installation was found here, dated to the Phoenician period, which produced the purple dye. This is one of the theories of these installations, although the archaeologists in the recent seasons are re-examining the structures.
The Canaanites, Hebrews of the Zebulun tribe, and especially the Phoenicians produced the deep-purple indigo dye which was used for the textile industry. Purple became a symbol of status, sovereignty and power. The Phoenicians of Tyre and around the Mediterranean coast skilled in purple dyeing, based on the marine snail (Hilazon in Hebrew, Murex trunculus as scientific name) which was one of the important sources of dye colors in antiquity. The Greek name of "Phoenician" actually means red-purple, based on their production and trade of the purple cloths.
Remains of a vat stained with the purple Murex dye, which was found in Shikmona and dated to 1200 BC, indicates that this industry started here in the Canaanite period. More Phoenician shreds with the purple dye were found here, dated to 9th-8th C BC.
Hundreds of murex shells were also found here. Since 60,000 murex were needed to produce one pound of dye, the dye was highly prized in ancient times. Their shells are found in most of the Phoenician sites along the coast in Israel and Lebanon.
A section of a Byzantine monastery was excavated in the season of 2011, and is now under preservation. It is located to the south of the hill.
The unique feature of this area are the beautiful mosaics floors.
More examples are shown in the following pictures:
Another section with geometric patterns:
A section on the south side:
A detail in this floor:
Along the length of the floor is a number of bases of columns.
A closer view from the east side:
One of the marble columns is seen in the picture below:
A clay fragment belonged to the roof of the structure.
The eastern edge of the structure, with pools, is seen below.
A western view of the structure:
Shikmona's Necropolis (=large cemetery) is located on the hillside east of the highway. One of the burial caves is seen under one the the famous monuments of Haifa - an anchor greeting the drivers arriving to the port city of Haifa.
In the garden along the foothills of Mt Carmel are 22 burial caves. The caves, hewn into the rock, have different designs. Some of the burial caves have staircases that lead down into one or two chambers, while one of the caves has nine chambers. A groove around the opening protected the chambers from flooding. Some of them have metal studs which once secured a modern metal cage that protected its entrance.
Another sample of a burial cave, with the sealing door in front of the entrance, is seen below. All but one of the 22 caves are dated to the Roman/Byzantine period.
A mosaic floor of a Byzantine chapel was unearthed and reconstructed in 2000 during the construction of a bus lane. The chapel, first found in the excavations of 1939, was part of a monastery and is dated to the 5th-6th C AD. The mosaic floor was relocated, and is on public display on the side of the highway.