Ruins of a grand winter palace for the Arabic rulers from Damascus. Built in the 8th C AD near Tell Kinneret.
An Arabic palace on the route of the ancient road from Tiberias to the north of the sea of Galilee (Capernaum). It served as a winter palace for the Arabic rulers of Damascus.
A Khan (road hostel) was located nearby, closer to the hill of Tell Kinneret, but there are no traces of it today. It served the caravans from Damascus to Egypt.
The site is located at the north corner of the Sea of Galilee. While driving from Tiberias to Capernaum, after about 10KM and just before Tell Kinneret, there is a right turn to Karei Deshe youth hostel and Khurvat Minya. This road gets you to the entrance of Khurvat Minya.
This is the aerial view of the area from the south. The ruins of the palace are are located in the field south of Tell Kinneret.
Pointing on purple points will automatically scroll to the relevant photo, text or web page.
In earlier times the site was located on the major road that connected Egypt to Syria. It is very close to Capernaum, which is located 3 Km to the east. Jesus must have passed this very spot several times on his travels from Capernaum to the Galilee, Nazareth, Judea and Jerusalem.
A Roman/Byzantine Jewish village called Ein-Te'ena (Hebrew for "Spring of the Fig") is referred in the Talmud (4th C AD). It was probably located around the spring which is located closer to the hill. The Arabic name of the spring, Ein e-Tina (spring of the fig tree), preserved the name of the village.
In the 5Th C AD a Byzantine structure was located in the area of Minya.
Minya is an Arab palace, built by Khalif Hisham from Damascus (724-742) to serve as a winter palace. It was built over the Byzantine building. The palace was destroyed in a severe earthquake (749AD).
The ruins were first excavated in 1932.
Click on the photo to view it in higher resolution...
This is the entrance to the palace from the sea (east) side.
On the south side - the ruins of the palace.
The view of the palace on the west side.
West side window.
View of the palace from the west side. The sea of Galilee is seen behind the palm trees.
A view of the north side of the palace.
View of the east side of the palace.
His article was published on Dec 26, 1884, with the title "Sea of the Galilee", where he tells his readers about his visit to the site of Minya. At his times the scholars still debated whether Minya was Capernaum, the city of Jesus, or was it located in the ruins north-east to Minya, called Tell-Khum. His opinion that Minya was not the city of Jesus, and he later visited the ruins of Tell-Khum.
It is a recommended book for the period of rediscovering the Holy Land.